Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The last half of Brown Girl Dreaming was good. I can’t say I’m a fan of poem form writing but I think it went well with this book. I like how this book shows Jacqueline’s evolving throughout it. In the beginning she sees people marching and she doesn’t understand why they’re marching, to the end of the book her wanting to join the march and her marching outside her apartment building. Which I find this growth to be one of the most important parts of the book. The comparison to her knowledge about the marches is important because the color of her skin is going to justify how she lives her life especially in the era where black people were not allowed to a lot of things and they were legally segregated.  The color of her skin determines how she will be treated in society. Her family in the beginning does a fine job of telling her that she is not less than anyone else. They also protect her from the marches because of the dangers that go with them, until the end where is a little older and is very aware of what’s going on and the injustice that is around her. I find this extremely relatable. In my early stages of life I was very unaware of the racism that goes on currently, I grew up in a mostly black neighborhood, and majority of people I went to school with were black, I thought that when I was going to school I was getting the same education as every other person my age, and that it was the same for everyone, but like Jacqueline, as I got older I started to see what was really happening around me. Some of the problems that Jacqueline faces in the book are problems that still go on today, which makes this book extremely relevant



Image result for segregation marches

No comments:

Post a Comment