Tuesday, February 28, 2017


American Born Chinese is interesting. Its about a Chinese guy Jin and he wants nothing to do with his Chinese culture. He wants to be a white kid. He starts at the school and the stereotyping begins, his teachers say that he’s from China but he’s really from San Francisco, the other Asian in his class he avoids because he doesn’t want to see even more Chinese. He has a crush on a girl in his school and he thinks that if he is more “white” she might like him, so he dyes his hair blonde, which looks weird from the pictures. He doesn’t want anything to do with his own culture which I find sad because our ethnic cultures are so important, especially to my family. My Mexican grandfather died when my dad was 9 years old, after that we completely lost our touch with our own culture. We have done our best to keep our culture in tact as much as possible with our given situation. I think that Jin is lucky that he has that part of him that I was I had. It makes me not like this book so much because of him rejecting that side of him. Danny, a white guy in the book, who cant be white if he has a full blooded Asian cousin,  has his cousin visit who is that stereotypical “Asian” he speaks differently, he has buck teeth, he peed in Danny’s friend’s drink. He’s overall just annoying. 



Image result for american born chinese pdf



Then there is the monkey king who is working to be some type of God by obtaining all the levels of kung fu and mastering it. I really am having a hard time liking this book, I really cant say I am enjoying it at all really, and it is something I cant relate to. I think the whole thing is sad.
Image result for american born chinese pdf

1 comment:

  1. I think that this book is kind of 'love it or hate it' because the structure of it is so unique. I liked what you said about culture being important- I think it is too- at least its something that shouldnt have to feel like it needs to be rejected

    ReplyDelete